Built of red sandstone, the ruins of the castle date largely from the 15th Century. The lands of Inverkeilor on which the castle was built were granted to Walter de Berkeley, the royal chamberlain of William The Lion. On Walter's death c.1194, the property passed, via his daughter, to the Balliol family the probable builders of the first stone castle. During the Wars of Independence the castle was granted to Donald Campbell, who sold the lands on to the Stewarts who built the later tower-house.
3km North East of Inverkeilor