Edzell village is situated between Strathmore and the Howe of the Mearns in Angus, and is north of Brechin.
The village was originally known as Slateford up until 1818 when a new church was built by Lord Panmure and the village became known as Edzell.
Edzell has many buildings of historical and architectural interest including the Dalhousie Arch which spans the main road at the entrance to the village. It was erected in 1887 in memory of the 13th Earl of Dalhousie, John William Ramsay, and his wife, Lady Ida Louisa. The couple died within a few hours of each other - Lord Dalhousie died in his sleep less than 24 hours after his wife, aged 30, died of peritonitis. The couple were survived by 5 children.
Inglis Memorial Hall was built by Lt. Col. Robert William Inglis V.D. (later Chairman of the London Stock Exchange) in memory of some of his family. In 1898 he gifted the building and around 5000 books for the use and benefit of the people of the local community. Today the library still houses a rare Cotgreave Indicator and has been described as one of the best-preserved examples of a late 19th Century public library surviving anywhere in the UK. The library room is now a Visitor Centre (open most Sundays 2-4pm), and is also available for use by community groups; other rooms in the building are available for hire."
The shakin’ Brig is tucked away at the end of Gassy Brae, a land that runs off the main street. Built in around 1900 to provide pedestrians with a safe route across the North Esk , this suspension bridge straddles the border between the counties of Angus and Kincardinshire – and certainly lives up to its name!