The Glenesk Retreat and Folk Museum
The original Retreat, now demolished, was a cottage built by Captain Wemyss in the 1840s as an escape from the sea. Newly refurbished, it continues to offer a genial mix of the tranquil and convivial, for everyone.
The Glenesk Folk Museum is for some people a discovery, for others a home to revisit, over and again. Local school teacher Greta Michie opened the museum in 1955, using innovative methods of telling ordinary people’s stories by drawing on living history ideas being then pioneered in Scandinavia. Relax in the cafe and enjoy a delicious variety of cakes, scones and tray bakes, lovingly made on the premises.